Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Under the Fold [Short Film]

Under The Fold from The Animation Workshop on Vimeo.



About Under the Fold is a student film made between 2011 and 12 by a bunch of graduates from The Animation Workshop. Description

Bo Juhl Nielsen: Director, Animator Thomas Vind Mortensen: Production Manager, Animation Supervisor Rune Rask: Technical Art Director,CG Artist Sara Mai Olsen: Art Director, CG Artist Unspecified Responsibilities Simon Lee Bresling: Sound Design, Environment Designer, CG Artist Niels Andersen Dolmer: Editor, Animator Stine Agerskov Frandsen: Pipeline Supervisor, Animator

At the beginning of the Great Depression Frank loses the stability in his and his son’s life, when he is thrown on the street. Homeless, and with his son Andrew in tow, he struggles to find a job in streets crowded with unemployed workers. Yet, Andrew naïve and innocent only enjoys tagging along, until his dad’s frustration fouls his playfulness.

But as Frank discovers his son’s sad mood, he begins to cheer him up, playing on his imagination. As the days progress, the goal of keeping his son happy becomes more and more a focus. Along the way his son’s imagination and joy affects him and finally his own happiness rises – just to be thundered down by reality! In the end, Frank accepts this harsh reality for what it is, by drawing on the optimism he found in his son’s imagination and goes out to face it.

Film Question:

Please provide your opinion regarding the animation style of this short film. Use the accountable talk terms that are provided below:

TERMS:

AESTHETIC / SPECTRUM / WATER COLORS / LAYERED / 3 DIMENSIONAL / ANIMATION / VISUAL / BRILLIANT / DULL / SHADOWS / PROFOUND

61 comments:

  1. This Animation style is nothing i have seen before. It was creative and unique. The characters was well made and nothing i have ever seen before. If it was up to me I would make this into a actual movie. It was worth it and i will give it 10 Out of 10 Newspaper Monster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes its alittle werd and had a fake animation

      Delete
    2. Hello Daniel. Thank you for your comments. Please keep in mind to read the writing prompt that is above. In this case, you are being asked to comment on the style of animation that was presented in this short animated film. You say that the animation wasn't anything you have seen before. Please elaborate...
      rating for blog - 2/5

      Delete
    3. Listen Angel this director did a good job he/she can actually make a great long film for disney also the film can sure need help with the animation but the director is not a pro

      Delete
  2. The style of this film is animation. In my opinion animation is very cool, I think this because there are just so many things you can do with a I would say a regular film. but with animation the posibilities are endless. You can do so much unique things with animation. Its so fascinating in my opinion i love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jesus. I appreciate that you enjoy animated films. However, that was not the question I was asking. Please respond to the writing prompt above, which asks about your opinion about the animation style. Use the accountable talk terms provided to help you mold the best possible response.
      1/5

      Delete
  3. I like this Film. Why? Because it's diferent. It looks like its 3- dimensional and water-color like animation. Its pretty obvious that they were affected by The Great Depression. I understand it's about the lack of jobs in the city and there was a job at Dolmer Drills that the father was trying to get but i think he didnt get hired. I Love how the father seems to tag along with his son's imagination. As soon as his happy-spirit went away, the father thought its whats best to make his son happy. So I'm guessing hes doing it all for him (his son). If i could recommend this film I would. I think Bol Juhl Nielsen did a good job showing the relationship between the father and the son. ^-^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Amanda. Fantastic Blog. I appreciate your use of the "Accountable Talk" terms that you used in your entry. Words such as "3-dimensional" and "water color" are excellent terms to describe the animation style. Also, great description of the film and thank you for providing us with your wonderful insight and opinions.
      5/5

      Delete
  4. In my opinion the animation of this film, was creative and colorful, though it didn't explain the story very well, i was confused through the whole film, but the animation was pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes i agree but the animation would be better in black and wight because it looks old. and the video looks like it happend in real life exept for the fake creachure

      Delete
    2. Thank you Chelsea. I appreciate your opinion but would like to learn more about how you thought the animation "didn't explain the story well". I agree that some animations may be beautiful but may not entirely compliment the mood and tone of the film. Thank you for your response.
      4/5

      Delete
  5. The Short Film Under The Fold Was A Good 3D Animation With a Lot Of water Colors. This Is A Brilliant ProFound Short Film That Should Be Played At A film Festival. In All This Is A Great Film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you DaShan. I appreciate your comment and like how you incorporated the "Accountable Talk" terms that I offered. Please change your username to one that is more appropriate and revealing of who the writer is. Thank you.
      3/5

      Delete
  6. i liked the film because it kept me entertained but i didnt understand the whole purple paper giant it made me think about the film alot

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found the film to be very entertaining. The style of the animation is very beatiful, espicially the scene with the newspapers, I like the water colors used in the scene. I felt the emotion Frank was feeling the whole movie, getting rejected of work, it captures the Great Depression really well. All in all I can see why the film won staff pick, I think its a great film.

    ReplyDelete
  8. In My Opinion The Animation Was Very Colorful.... It Was Also Very Predictable But Confusing

    ReplyDelete
  9. What I thought about this film was that it had good music and was very enjoyable.This is a great film that I would recommend my little brother to watch.I really enjoyed the story it was really entertaining.I would go see this movie if it was in the theatre.I would give this film 4 out of 5 stars.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would say this is actually a good film. This could be a good film for even kids to watch. I like how its all an imagination and how the back music is played. it also has its on flow is like you can feel the fun that the kid is having. I really think the should make a half hour show out of this its pretty cool and it makes me like want to take a nap from school if i was to watch this at home but in a good way :) i would rate this from 1-5 il give it a 4 Bye bye ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Chris. Thank you for your blog entry. I can see that you enjoyed the film, but did not get much information regarding your thoughts on the animation style of the film. What did the colors represent? Were there specific shapes that were more prominent than others? What was the overall mood of the images? Take some time to think about this... Please provide more feedback in order to get your rating up.
      3/5

      Delete
  11. Whats cracking yall ? :], but my opinion of this animated film, it was really creative, colorful, & you can understand what is going on. Basically, the dad trying to find a job while the boy is not trying to be depressed & play with an imaginary creature or monster. This is a good silent movie. I like the part when the boy finally shows the dad about the friend which feeds of the job papers that the dad tried to apply to. I give this movie a 3.5 out of 5, but yea :]

    ReplyDelete
  12. i personally enjoyed this short film because its amazing how animated paper figures can move in many different ways, i always enjoyed watching this short film because i got the message clearly and from 1-5 rating i would give this film a 4.5 and i would tell children 9 and under to watch this film , i think they would like it (BY JULIA TYB) BYEE ! =-]

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really enjoyed watching this film I like the characters and the backround music.Everything was amazing i could not have done better myself.As for me ,i rate this film a good 7 out of 10. And I would highly recommend this film to people who really enjoy animation films.....

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think this animation film is brilliant. I feel like the little boy has a bright personality even though their thrown in the street. I feel sorry that the father couldnt find a job and it was hard for him. But I feel like this film is very loving and sad at the same time <3

    ReplyDelete
  15. This film was amazing.It was a very detailed film the backround music the charaters and everything. As for me, I rate this film a good 7 out of 10... I would highly recommend to people who like animation films.....

    ReplyDelete
  16. This short film is horrible,if this was a short film i had to pay for i would of pressed charges for a con its.The movie is very boring it put me 90% asleep.I would rate this from one - five a one.The only thing I can say is if you cant sleep in the night watch this film and you will be knocked out

    ReplyDelete
  17. This film is really good and could make it out as a movie.In the film,it shows a father that is looking for a job but is turned down everytime.His son is playing with a peace of paper that turns from flat to a little person.The little person grows evertime it eats paper,and it gets the paper from the father that rips the pages from the news paper.The father looks at the paper to check out each job.After turned down everytime,his son shows his father the little person.The little person ate to much paper and ends up bigger then a house.Then the father chases the son that is sitting on the big person's head.It turns out to be an imagination and the son is sad that the big person is no more,so the father puts the son on his head and leaps away.I like the fact that they used water colors to show the outline of the film,and I also like that they used bright colors.The animation is crazy good and is perfect for this film,any other colors would wacken the style of the film.The shadow of the film is great and fits with the position of the character.If I was to rate between the letters in my name N being the worst and S being awsomei,it would be an A.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Nick... Fantastic blog entry. It was thorough in so many levels, offering specific details on the film's plot while also answering the question about the animation style. I would only ask that you please be careful with your grammar errors. There seems to be a few run on sentences as well as a couple of punctuation mishaps. Also, it is essential that you include academic or accountable talk terms rather than informal vocabulary such as "crazy" and "wacken". I will give you a 5/5 this time, but please be conscious of your vocab and your grammar.

      Thank you!
      5/5

      Delete
  18. i thought the film was absolutley fun to watch. I like how the sound was on point and also the texture of the animation.the story line about how the father was trying to land on a job during the great depression. the film was also very colorful. If I were to rate this film i would give it a 8 out of 10. I would definitley recommend this to a child just for the colorfulness but as the child gets older he can really understand what happens in the story line.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I honestly think this film was okay, it was creative, unique and very colorful. You could understand whats going in this short film. The dad was having trouble looking for a job and he's a bit sad/depressed. The way they did this movie was brilliant and a very good way of understanding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was okay too but what is that big purple that eat paper and the father that couldn't find a job and at the end of the story also the ANIMATION was great and who ever created this is very BRILLIANT.

      Delete
  20. A mi no me llamo mucho la atencion pero era muy interesante porque el Don queria buscar un tarbajo pero no lo podia encontral para que el hijo comiera mejor pero no lo podia encontral y el hijo solo queria alludarlo pero no junciono y el hijo no lo pudo intentar pero el pader como sea se puso feliz com su hijo y estaron felizes para sienper., el fin

    ReplyDelete
  21. Disfrute mucho la pelicula , es muy bonita animacion ... Yo pienso que la pelicula quiere dejar desir que no te rindas que sigas adelante y si sigues adelante puedes encontrar algo o algo mucho mejor que lo que buscabas !

    ReplyDelete
  22. la pelicula no me gusto porque el papa del muchacho no encontro trabajo. Yo tambien no me gusto que el muneco del papel se murio. Los colores estaban bien porquese veian como si eran de verdad.

    ReplyDelete
  23. En verdad me gusto la pelicula me gusto las acccionnes y la musica de la pelicula los colores estubieron exccelente.Pero lo que en verdad me gusto fue como el muchacho estaba combenciendoal padre que tenia un juguete de papel.El final me gusto mucho tambien estubo muy bueno

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think this film was really good. The best thing about this movie is the 3D animation. It reminds me of a slow-motion film. However, the duration of the film could be at least 10 minutes. I'd give it 10 out of 10.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Adonis,

      Great use of your accountable talk terms. I see that you enjoyed the 3D animation style of some of the characters as well as your reference to slow motion films. Please tell me a little more about the film and how the colors and style of the images helped move the story forward. Right now, you have a 3/5 but this rating can move up to a 5/5 with more information about the film's story. Thank you!

      Delete
    2. Despite the awesome visual effects, & the speechless dialogue, I couldn't understand what was going on. All I know was that the father tried to find a job. When I got to the part of the purple monster/girl hybrid, I was completely lost. Once the movie finished, I realized that the Hybrid was just a part of the boy's imagination.

      Delete
    3. Nice work Adonis...
      5/5

      Delete
  25. THE movie was very great i loved it it was 3 DIMENSIONAL also VISUAL and the WATER COLORS was amazing i would love to watch this movie again and again until i get tired this was the best movie i ever saw the ANIMATION and it was BRILLIANT nothing was DULL in this movie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent work Tyreek. You get a 5/5. Please keep in mind that I would like you to not force the "Accountable Talk" terms. You do not have to use all of them in the same sentence or even blog. Nice work however and I am happy that you liked the film...
      -lopez

      Delete
    2. its wasent 3 DIMENSIONAL

      Delete
  26. this short animation film is great because its about a little boy who discovers this type of creature were every time a piece of newspaper rops he'll go and eat it and every time he its one of the news papper pages he grows bigger and the child is trying to show he's dad the creature but he's dad pays no attention to it and worries bout being hired for a job but when he finds out that there's no job left for him he fill's sad and upset that he didn't get picked or hired for any of this jobs so what happens is the child goes and takes hes hat and shows him it then the dad is all surprised about he son finding this creature then he runs with hes hat then the creature plays along and puts the kid on he's head and just keeps running then they climb on a building that leads to this place tats all color full and the dad is just still chasing them but then the dad can't find them anymore but then the place just changes into a rainy place that just gets dark then he ends up on the streets and see's his kid looking for the creature then he gives up trying to find the creature and the his dad goes to get his hat puts on the hat then his son goes on he's back for a ride then the movie ends. i think this short film is very good and that they should make this a movie or a game that how goo it was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Nice work Christopher. Please keep in mind all grammar rules (periods, commas, etc...) when writing your blog entries. I truly appreciate your in depth synopsis of the short film. it truly demonstrates your interest in these types of themes and plots. Lastly, please use from the Accountable Talk list any words that could help enhance your descriptions and reviews. Thank you!
      4/5

      Delete
  27. I like the background because it show about the news paper store and the rain. I think the film is good. The animation was interesting

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shelsy... I appreciate your mentioning of the Background. Not many other students took the time out to write about the interesting background animation. Nice work!
      4/5

      Delete
    2. after watching the film i love how the animation was creative and some how reflected to life . this film was amazing and the effects i saw was interesting.Most of all i love how the water color popped during the film if i had to rate this film it would be a 4 .

      Delete
  28. I enjoyed this film. The film was type sad. This animation was very interesting in so many ways. It was interesting because as the boys dad keeps finding a job he keeps tearing the papers out of the newspaper and this purple thing come and eat the paper and the purple thing gets bigger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Elaine. Thank you for commenting on the animation of the film. I did not however get a good sense as to why you appreciated the animation. Please explain further, using your accountable talk terms.... Also, be careful with grammatical errors. It seems as if you are freely using informal / casual English rather than academic English at times.
      2/5

      Delete
  29. i honestly did not under stand the meaning of the film. i just see a little boy trying to get the mans attention and a big purple monster. but i like how they made the graphics look more look color full like if it was sopposed to be a artistic heaven. another thing is the story line i do not get.

    ReplyDelete
  30. in the movie the fold it had a very unique style of animation its colors or really bright and colorful. i like how the background changes in the mood of the characters. its a very good movie i give it a 5/5 stars in my opinon and recommend all who will watch.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I honestly didn't understand it at first, but the made the graphics made it a little understandable. I think the moral of the story is; there should always be a father son relationship. I give 3/5 stars.

    ReplyDelete
  32. I kind of understood the moral of this film. I think it looks very creative. I really do like the ending the best because of the colors they used. But I also think they should have added dialogue so we can understand the film better but besides that I think the animation of this film was absolutely perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hey Andrea! Thank you for your intelligent response. I appreciate your comment on the ending of the film and how the colors played a role. i would appreciate it further if next time, perhaps as a response to this comment, that you delve further into WHY you liked the colors in the end and what they represent. Please use the accountable talk terms within your response. For now you get a 3/5 but with the changes, you can easily get a 5/5. Thank you!
      3/5

      Delete
  33. The film Under Fold was a great film that was some what confusing but really amazing to me. I belive that this film is about how no matter how hard life is but if you have a little imagination you will think about things a little different. Also its about how a father and son have a creative mind and thinks there jumping form plates to plates in the sky just to get a hat with a strange thing but my rate is 4/5

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Tasha. Thank you for your first response!!! i appreciate your brief synopsis of the film. I would suggest that you also read the descriptions of the films we watch that are usually presented below the film. For your response to my comment, please provide me with an explanation regarding your opinion about the ANIMATION STYLE. Use the accountable talk terms offered above. Thank you!
      2/5

      Delete
  34. i feel as if this movie well short film was great because of the fact that its giving us the information like (the moral ) of the image .... yea like chris brown would say duces;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Julia. I appreciate your comment and like how you modified your responses to be more academic. You have the ability to write like this all of the time if you choose to. Thank you for taking the time to do a good job here.
      4/5

      Delete
  35. this movie really wasnt all that it was a medium of my liking it was boring though i didint understand the whole concept of this short film what dose the new paper has to do with his dream his dream pops up every were i dont know if it even is dream he might be in his own little world but i really dont like it its too boring my rating is a 1 out of 5 really boring i hoped to the beast on this film bye:]

    ReplyDelete
  36. Me gusta esta pelicula la forma de animacion es muy buena por que ensena como los ninos pueden aprender e imaginar cosas.....,,la animacion es de caricaturas y trata de una persona que tiene un sueno pero con el paso de los dias el be que ese sueno no se hace realidad..pero la esperanza que el tiene es que la unidad entre el y su hijo le da fuerzas para luchar por ello ... Los colores de esta pelicula son muy bonitos, me gustaron muchos... esta pelicula se muy bien la presentacion es excelente..!!

    ReplyDelete
  37. I loved this 3 dimensional animation film. It was very creative and unique. I loved the way the water colors were used. Dark colors for the sad scenes and light, happy colors for the good times. I really enjoyed the scene where the father engaged with his son in a world of imagination where everything is possible. Is like traveling inside of your mind. I also enjoyed to see the purple girl running around. She was really funny...

    ReplyDelete

Make sure your comment includes accountable talk sentence starters! Your comment will be sent to Mr. Freelon to be approved.

Keep up the talk!