Wednesday, March 13, 2013

JOHN HENRY AND THE RAILROAD // Accountable Talk WEEKEND ASSIGNMENT

M Lopez talks about John Henry and the Railroad - short film from LPZ Media, LLC on Vimeo.





John Henry and The Railroad from Whitestone Motion Pictures on Vimeo.



John Henry and the Railroad THE LATEST FROM WHITESTONE MOTION PICTURES—THE TRUE TALL TALE OF JOHN HERNY AND THE RAILROAD

At this point, simply calling the team at Whitestone Pictures talented would be an understatement of hyperbolic proportions. With a staggering number of gorgeous short films already in their portfolio (some of which have been featured on this site), it’s safe to say that this Atlanta based boutique company is on a different level than most indie-shops. The newest edition to their folkloric canon comes as a retelling of the old American tall tale, John Henry and the Railroad. Much like the team’s other work, John Henry is part musical, part fable, part love letter to American nostalgia. The result is a mythic concoction that is decidedly “Whitestone”—a feel good fantasy about hard work, the american dream, and a big ole’ set of hammers.

John Henry fits in neatly with the team’s oeuvre, taking the established story of the African American folk hero and giving it new life. As usual, Writer/director Brandon McCormick deftly leads his audience into a wonderfully crafted world—a place where allegory and reality collide, where men truly can move mountains.

As one might expect, the production value is astonishing. Beyond looking pretty (seriously, it looks really, really pretty), the production design elements are through the roof. From period props and costumes to a full-fledged antique steam engine, McCormick and company may have outdone themselves this time. Frankly, the indie filmmaker in me is flabbergasted that a production like this is even possible—the sheer scope and production quality of the film even more impressive to me than the tall tale they are attempting to tell on camera.

Stylistically, the stuff from Whitestone either works for you or it doesn’t. The team members don’t attempt to hide the fact that they wear their heart on their sleeve, that the stories they are telling aren’t lean and simple, but rather meant to be big, bold, and in your face. Subtly certainly isn’t this film’s strong point. But, for this soft-hearted curator with a penchant for musical theater, I’d argue that “understated” isn’t even a part of Whitestone’s vocabulary. Rather, they want to tell a story that is truly larger than life. So, give up the next twenty minutes of your day, sit back, relax, and be amazed by the craftsmen at Whitestone’s newest tall tale. I have a feeling your heart will be warmed, your spirits enlivened, and your feet will be uncontrollably tapping along with the beat. Grit, sweat, and love, indeed.

FILM QUESTION / PROMPT #1:

PLEASE READ MR. LOPEZ'S COMMENT BELOW. DO YOU AGREE OR DISAGREE WITH MY OPINION ABOUT THIS FILM? PLEASE USE THE ACCOUNTABLE TALK SENTENCE STARTERS TO THE RIGHT OF THIS PAGE.

FILM QUESTION / PROMPT #2:

PLEASE READ ONE OF YOUR PEER'S BLOG ENTRIES. DO YOU AGREE OR DISAGREE WITH WHAT THEY ARE ARGUING? PLEASE EXPLAIN IN THREE OR MORE SENTENCES, AGAIN, BY USING THE ACCOUNTABLE TALK SENTENCES PROVIDED.

53 comments:

  1. My opinion on this film is that it seemed very complete. It didn't take an hour and a half to get the message of the film like most movies today. It took a mere 20 minutes to get the message across. The song," Grit, Sweat and Love" featured in this film was very heart-warming and really emphasized the film's moral. The acting seemed extremely realistic. Would I recommend this film? Absolutely. My rating on this film is a 5 out of 5 stars. This film is the epitome of excellence.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed watching the short film John Henry and the Railroad. I really don't like tall tales but this one was great. The plot was amazing and the cinematography was beautiful i give this film 5
    out of 5.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tottally agree with what Xavier said. I also feel that the cinematography was beautiful.

      Delete
    2. Great entry Xavier i only got one question for you what did you mean when you said that the cinematography was beautiful what made it so beautiful and why

      Delete
    3. I agree with you the plot was awesome and the place was also good and i will give this film the same rate you did.

      Delete
    4. I totally agree with you Xavier the D.P. or Director of photography Really made this film quite enjoyable and more selctable than any other tall tale I've heard!! =D

      Delete
    5. I agree with you because the plot was really amazing the way they show all the scenes I mean like the story board was also very clear. Also the characters show a lot of courage, they never give up. I also agree with rate you gave this film.

      Delete
    6. i do not agree with xavier this movie is naive and to boaring to be even called a film.

      Delete
  3. I really enjoyed this film. This film had many elements to it but it wasn't confusing. I also enjoyed the song " Grit Sweat and Love". The narroator told the story really well. The acting in this film seemed very realistic. Overall I give this film 5 stars out of 5. I would definitely recommend this film.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great point i think the song compliments the whole film in many ways and the actors deserve a metal for their great performances.

      Delete
    2. I completely agree with Natasha about it having a lot of elements and not being confusing. I felt that I was attracted while watching this film and the storytelling is just profound. I also enjoyed the song "Grit Sweat and Love," for I found it very exciting and energetic, the perfect song for the race between machine and man. I also agree with you with your rating, for I will also give this film a 5/5.

      Delete
  4. I really loved this film because it made life simple and very understanding John Henry had used what he do best to show men that he was a hard worker and loves what he do. John Henry is very cool in many ways he teaches his son the three most important words to help you continue the job and they are "Grit, Sweat, and LOVE". The narrator wanted to show people that when you are really good at something never give up . I give this film a 5 out of 5 cause this film was AMAZING.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoy this film it was a good film it was awesome the angles it was taken and the place it was film it was really a good experience.I have a question does the narrator was John Henry's soon. The film have a good graphic and I will give this film a 10 out of 10.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Exelente Film , no se por donde empezar . Bueno yo realmente disfrute este film , es un buen buen film , los actores sabian muy bien lo que hacian todo era exelente en el film ... Unas de las cosas que mas me encantaron de este film fue cuando el joven le dijo al padre que porque no hiban a comer y el dijo que lo que era para hoy no se podia dejar para manana Tambien otra cosa que me encanto de este film fue cuando el senor le dijo al hombre de la maquina que el podia hacer el trabajo mas rapido que la maquina y lo logro ! el hombre compitio con la maquina y cuando el pensaba que no podia mas que se encontro con el muro el no se rindio el hizo un tunel en la montana y le gano a la maquina ! Pienso que este film quiere decir que cuando encuentres optaculos en frente tuyo no te rindas sigue adelante que tu podras derribarlos Que tu puedes si tu confienas en ti mismo .. ! Yo le doy a esta pelicula un 10 - 10 ! Este film pone mi sentimistos y me diice que no me rinda ! Mr . Lopez Great film ! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I desagree with Jailine because I think this film was weird and boring but there is one thing I agree with Jailine is that never give up trust your self. I offer this film a 1 because it was weird and boring but never give up and trust your self.

      Delete
  7. I really dont not like this film because it was boring I like the end of this film but I did not like the part ta the man was folloing the otre men because it was cand of weird I offer this film a 1 because it was boring and weird.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I really like this film because this film tell's me that if you wanna give up just say no i don't give up.I give this film a 10 to 10 the film was awesome.Mr.Lopez great film love it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Buenooo... Amii sinseramente me gusto el film estubo bueno.... y tambien me gustaron las musicas k ponian en la pelicula tambien me gustoo la grafica k tiene la pelicula estubo bien echaa ... tambien me gusto como empezoo este film... tambien me gusto loke el padre le dijo al muchacho lo que es para hoy no se deja para manana.. Creo k el mensaje de este film s k si tienes optaculos no te rindas asta k los puedas derribar.... tambien me gusto cuando hicieron el trato k ellos le ganaron a la makina... Yo a este film le doy un 10 de 10 pork estubo super!!!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I liked the film to be honest! I thought this would be a slow and boring film but the plot was really good! I give this a thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. In my opinion this film was very good and had a cool tall tale. This film also had a excellent message . The message was to never give up even if you're tired, hungry or when it looks like you're not going to make it. I would recommend this film to friends because it had good cinematography and a terrific message. I rate this film a 9 out of 10.

    ReplyDelete
  12. in my opinion i disagree with this film i disliked it. Otherwise this film message was good , so i agree with one of Mr.lopez's thoughts that the message is if you "try hard enough you may accomplish any obstacle". I rate this a 2 out of 5 star because i didnt like this fil.

    ReplyDelete
  13. this film had a commonly used setting which is not as unique as i wanted it to be. the plot was a very unique story about a guy named john henry.i liked this film because its story and background music. the background music was brillent for the story. i give this film a 4 out of 5

    ReplyDelete
  14. This film Has a great point But Not A Great storyboard. I Disagree with Mr.Lopez. This Film Did not Discuss The whole plot in 20 mins. I do agree with mr.lopez on one thing, the actors played their characters well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree with Yarilis and disagree with Mr.lopez because the film was really boring and i didn't like it at all in my opinon this isn't my type of this film is a 1 out of 100 it was so fake it was one of the worst short films i saw but it did give a message the stood out to me and it was to never give up and always keep trying and believe in your self

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved this film. It was good. This film taught me to never give up. The music was amazing and I loved it. I think this film is the best so far. I would recommend this film to my family because i think they will enjoy it and thinks its good. This is the best film I watched so far.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree with Mr.Lopez because it was a very wonderful film the cinematogrophy style was great!! I really like tall tales. I would rate this film a 5 out of 5.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this films music it was inticing and enjoyable...I also enjoyed the scenes in this film. The characters in this film played a good part in this film...I give this film 4.5 stars* out of 5 stars* ^
    < >
    vv

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think this was a really good film.This film had a lot of good elements. I type like the song they was plying in this film. I think this film was trying to say people don't give up on your dreams or something you worked really hard for . Ill give this film a 5 out of 5 because i really like this film. :))

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you to Natasha, Xavier, and Samara for posting this weekend. I appreciate your comments. Here are my thoughts about this film:

    John Henry and the Railroad is an incredibly well produced short film about a man's will and fearlessness to overcome any obstacles. The filmmakers of Whitestone Pictures in Atlanta, Georgia have certainly proven once again that they have not only the narrative sensibility that's required to capture the human experience, but also have the stylistic bravado to match those big budget productions that come out of Hollywood. I agree with Samara that you do not necessarily need a feature film to develop a full fledged story or narrative. In this case, the story came full circle in simply 20 minutes. What I also truly appreciated about this film was its cinematography style; with heavy low angled shots that created the sense of enormity with the characters, as well as the continuity of characters breaking the shots. For example, in the scene when the protagonist proves his strength, the narrator of the film appears in a seamless manner, this never breaking or cutting the shot. Beautiful done! In closing, I offer this film a 5 out of 5 for its production value and stylistic beauty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with MR.Lopez.I agree with what he said(and I quote'What I also truly appreciated about this film was its cinematography style; with heavy low angled shots that created the sense of enormity with the characters, as well as the continuity of characters breaking the shots''.I also like that he gave and example.In my rating,I give this film a 5 out of 5 because this short film could make it out as a movie.

      Delete
    2. I do not agree with Mr.Lopez, in my opinion I think this movie was very naive and very predictable for a tale tale. I think this film is extreamly over rated and over liked. I give this filn 4 out of 10 stars

      Delete
    3. i disagree with mr.lopez because you could just make a least 2 or 3 film shots because 1 scene could tell what the film is about and whats gonna happen like some films are short why because they could just film one place where there gonna be and whats gonna happen and what the person is thinking .

      Delete
    4. I agree MR.LOPEZ, this movie seems very nice for this man to fight against every obstacle in your life in this film we can see what was the difference between black and white while back but still this movie teaches many good things I like the colors and images of the film is very real I give it 5 of 5 stars.

      Delete
  21. I agree, this film was really good & brung back history, the people thay played it was magnificent, the acting was great & the music was beautiful :]

    ReplyDelete
  22. The part that was really exciting was when John Henry & the train machine was racing & once the mountain came, he passed right through it
    I rate this film a 9 out of 10, i will recommand this film to people because this film was really good & i enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  23. i agree with you Mr.Lopez this is a really good short film and John Henry is a hard working black man who wants the best for his son. And races a train for the land they were suspose to get after they finished the train tracks.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I enjoyed this film. The narrator explained the story very well. It was very easy to understand and wasn't confusing like some other films we have watched. The actors did an excellent job. They really got into character and it seemed very realistic. I really like the song "Grit, Sweat and Love." My rating for this film is a five out of five stars.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I agree with Mr.Lopez I liked the message of this film. No matter how tired you are you have to keep trying. I also agree with how the film looks with the great shots. Like in 5:52 to 7:05 i like how clear the sky looks while they're talking and how relaxing it seems.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I concur with Mr.Lopez because i believe that using the camera angles in those forms and using the actors as a tool to make the plot more intense was very thought provoking and very original in my view.I love the way the soundtrack made the plot unpredictable at points.For example in the scene where the narrator was singing, also in the part where he told the viewers that he was John Henry's son was very unexpecting. Some negative qualities were the dialouge because it was very confusing , but i love the way the actors talked in a way that made it seem they were actually in that time and the slang and old sayings were also thought provoking.In conclusion i give this film of aproximately 20 mins a 5 out of 5 stars for cinematography , acting , soundtrack , and plot.

    ReplyDelete
  27. THE SHORT FILM JONH HENERY AND THE RAILROAD IS ONE OF THE BEST SHORT FILMS THAT MR LOPEZ HAS SHOWED US IN FILM CLASS IF I WAS A PRODUCER I WOULD PRODUCE THIS MOVIE IN A QUICKNESS ITS A VERY GOOD ONE . OK ENOUGH NECK LETS GET INTO THE REVIEW . THE MOVIE WAS PRODUCE IN 2013 THE SCRIPT WAS A REALLY REAL STORY BUT THEY OVER DID IT . JONH HENERY WAS ONE OF MANY FOCK HEROS THAT WAS TOLD WORKED AS A STEEL-DRIVER A MAN TASKED WITH HAMMERING S STEEL DRILL INTO ROCK TO MAKE HOLES FOR EXSPLOSIVE TO BLAST ROCK AWAY I GIVE THIS MOIVIE A 5 OUT OF 5 I REALLY LIKED THE MOVIE AND I WOULD RECOMEND THIS TO ANYONE OF THIS LIKING OF THESE TYPE OF FILMS. R.I.P TWINKES

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didnt like the film because there was alot of talking but, all the talking was very interesting. I like the way it looked and how it started. John Henry was is a very hard working man.

      Delete
  28. I agree with Mr.Lopez, i liked the music at first and the colors , how it started so nice and i know if it was in the movies theater in a big screen it could of been better. I liked the music at first when the man was talking & how he was walking and showing what others doing in the background. I also like How they dressing like the old time & looking like slaves it shows more about the movie. & i like where the film was recorded at nice place, This is a great film and the man thats saying the story, the end is nice ill give this a 5.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I agree, this movie seems very nice for this man to fight against every obstacle in your life in this film we can see what was the difference between black and white while back but still this movie teaches many good things I like the colors and images of the film is very real I give it 5 of 5 stars.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I totally agree with you Mr.Lopez. I loved this film. I also loved the film's cinematography style. For example, in the scene when the protagonist proves his strength, the narrator of the film appears in a seamless manner, this never breaking or cutting the shot. I also love that with heavy low angled shots they created the sense of enormity with the characters, it was beautiful. I love the fact that this movie teaches us a couple of things that we are going to need in our lives. The film teaches us that we should never give up, that hard work leaves off and that we can accomplish what we propose to ourselves. Sometimes you watch high-budget films that take 2 hours long and at the end you wasted your time because you did not learned from it. However, this low-budget film thought me a big lesson in just 20 minutes. This is one of the best films I have ever seen. I conclusion I give this amazing film 10 out of 10.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree too because john henry is a hard working and tough man who never gives up.So this movie inspires children and teens to never give up.

      Delete
  31. I completely disagree with Mr. Lopez and Samara's review about the film because the singer's voice does not go with the movie In my opinion, you cant mix country music with rock music because it does not sound right. Furthermore, the music did not seem to match the movie.

    ReplyDelete
  32. What I think about this film is that, it was a very good movie, and how it's based on a Tall Tale! What I liked about it was the camera angles, and the setting. What I also liked about the setting was when it took place and how realistic it was. I also liked how the film took place somewhere around the 19th Century, and the colors of the backround. The plot was also awesome! The Introduction was a bit confusing, but I knew what was going on. The ending was flawless, however it could do a little better. If I was to rate this movie, I would give it a 9.75 out of 10!

    ReplyDelete
  33. this film was fantastic, i liked the message of the film because it really touched me now i know that i should never give up in my hardest moments .

    ReplyDelete
  34. this film i'd give it an 8 out of 10 because of the camera angles and the the music not getting in the way unlike some other films.i love the way he expressed how to never give up on obstacles there is always a way to overcome these things and they did this in detail
    and he never gave up so thats the start of it even then so i recommend this film to be a full movie

    ReplyDelete
  35. I think this film was a heart warming short film with a message.That
    what ever difficult challenges that in your way no matter what never give up.

    ReplyDelete
  36. I think this short film was a a great film it was warm hearting .And gave a very important leason to never give up even if the going gets rought

    ReplyDelete
  37. I think this short film is a warm hearted film that shows that youshould never give up no matter how hard it looks if you put your heart to it you can take on the world.

    ReplyDelete
  38. John Henry and the railroad is a famional short film about a man who used to be a slave and he is freed and now he is trying to have the best for his son.

    ReplyDelete

Make sure your comment includes accountable talk sentence starters! Your comment will be sent to Mr. Freelon to be approved.

Keep up the talk!