Monday, March 18, 2013

Video Film Review: Six Dollar Fifty Man


These guys did a nice job on their production of this film review. Use accountable talk prompts to discuss this review.

Here are some questions to respond to:


  • What did they do well in this film review?
  • Did you think the examples from the film that they used were effective?  Explain why you liked those specific scenes -- use professional film terms in your explanation. 
  • What professional film terms could they add to their NEXT review that they did NOT use in this one? 
  • Did you think the way they appeared on screen worked well for their discussion of the film?  What did you like about it?  
  • Think of other ways to create a film reviews -- you have a webcam, a flip cam, clips from the film, images from the film, voiceovers, and music -- what else could a film review look like?

8 comments:

  1. Great work guys! This is Rhys the guy that was wandering around the room with Mr. Lopez when you filmed this.

    I like the way that you guys worked together when you appeared on camera together. For example, the use of the "two-shot", allowed us to see when you agreed and disagreed with each other, like when Xavier was making faces as if he didn't agree when Nicholas was saying there was nothing wrong with the film.

    I wonder if when Nicholas was saying that the music was "awesome" he could next time say a little more about what in the music worked well. For example, I thought that the tone of the music was sad, it made me think of a lost scared kid, which connected with the way the character in this film seemed lonely or alone and upset.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Nicholas. I'm a teacher at another school in Brooklyn and had a chance to watch your and Xavier's review with Mr. Rhys. I really like how you were specific about some of the things that made you rate this film highly. However, I'm curious, how could you rate it a four out of five stars if you can't name any of the things that you disliked about the film? You mentioned that "there were no negatives." If this is true, why didn't the film deserve a full five stars?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Gentlemen. I am a fifth grade teacher in Brooklyn and I was really impressed with your movie review of "Six Dollar Fifty Man". I really liked how you started off with a brief summary and message of the movie. This helped me to understand your review, even though I have not seen it. I also liked how you both stated your opinion and supported it with because. One thing you could try next time is supporting your ideas with specific details from the movie. For example, "The acting was good. For example, the scene when (describe scene).... shows excellent acting." or "The plot was confusing. For example, the scene when (describe event/scene) was confusing because..." I hope this helps you all. Good luck and keep working hard!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Film Reviewers!
    Great review! Definitely made me want to see the short film!

    SHOUT-OUTS!
    *I loved how comfortable the two of you were in front of the camera!
    *Solid pacing! I never felt like the review was moving too slowly.
    *Very concise summery!


    CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISMS
    *Try to bounce off each other more. As a viewer I want the two of you to be clearly agreeing and disagreeing on specifics. That helps me, the viewer, formulate my own opinion.
    *It's always helpful for the viewer to decide if the film is right for them to throw in some "if you're a fan of (famous film) and (genre)..."
    *Maybe try using more passionate, specific adjectives. Whether you like something or hate it, I'm not going to respond to words like "good," but will to "outstanding." Don't be afraid to throw in fun vocab like "wicked," as long as your overall demeanor is professional, you can have more fun with it! As a viewer I'm not going to respond to neutrality. Sometimes you need to decide what you LOVE and HATE about it the film and go to the extreme!
    *you should NEVER have no criticism. Even if it's the greatest film of all time, you validate yourself as a critic by your ability to be critical. you need to win my trust that you are an expert. one of the ways you can earn my trust is to show that you can be critical. this can be though with art you really love!


    I'M WONDERING...
    *I would love to know where I can see this movie online!
    *Think about the backdrop when you are recording.
    *Maybe add some 'at the movies' fun... for example, have some popcorn with you... start the review with 3-D glasses on, take them off, then put them back on at the end?
    *As a viewer, it can be a blast when the two hosts really bounce off each other. Even if, in reality, you don't have opposite viewpoints, maybe one of you could play the devil's advocate. Again, the richer the spectrum the two of you cover, the easier it is for myself, the viewer, to position myself in relation to the film.

    Thanks for your hardwork!
    Best,
    Mr. Hawks (through Mr. Daunic's account)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing your movie review! I like how you have included specific video clips. It helped me create a better understanding of the movie. Your introduction was brief, but clear and descriptive. The use of professional terms, such as plot and soundtrack helped to support your opinions.

    When telling why you enjoyed this short film, I think it might be helpful to elaborate on why you liked it, and cite specific parts of the film to make your opinions stronger. You say, "don't judge a book by its cover". Why do you think that? What part of the film made you think this? Why is the acting good? What do the actors do specifically, that made you feel this way?

    Looks like a great start!
    Brianna - Brooklyn elementary school teacher

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like how you give a brief summary and explanation of the film to start your review. That gives me (someone who has not seem the film) a context - it helps me understand your review. I also liked how you showed clips from the film to illustrate your points. Seeing movie clips keeps my interest. I would have liked to know more about why you chose those clips however. For example, when you said you liked the movie because the acting was good, you showed an interesting clip with 3 boys fighting - what made you pick that clip? what about that clip showed good acting? what do you mean by good acting? Additionally, when you discussed the soundtrack - what about the music was awesome? Did it help you feel something or understand something about the film?

    Also, I noticed neither of you gave the film 5 out of 5 stars, yet nothing negative was said about the film. What kept the film from getting 5 stars? As a movie viewer, I like to know what people didn't like as well as what the liked about films.

    Overall, I thought you worked well together. Your review starts well, I just want to know more about your thoughts about this movie!
    - Zoe Sylvester (first grade teacher at PS 503, looking at how I can use blogs in my own classroom)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello gentlemen,

    I am a first grade teacher at P.S. 503. I am commenting on your review as an assignment for Rhys's class.

    Nice job with your film review. Your brief summary helped me learn what the story was about without going into too many details. I also enjoyed hearing the reasons why you like the film (acting and the soundtrack). However, I would have liked to have learned more about what you didn't like about the film. Why didn't you like the theme of the movie? Why was the plot confusing? Was it poorly written? Poorly acted? Do you feel it doesn't accurately portray bullying? I'm sure you have good reasons--I want to hear them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Xavier and Nicholas! Great film review. It was great the way you introduced yourself right at the beginning and then gave a synopsis of the film. Since I haven't seen the film, it made your review much more meaningful for me.

    I liked the way you both gave the film a star rating. Nicholas, you clearly enjoyed the film, especially the acting and the music. That became even more obvious to me when you showed a clip of the film, along with its soundtrack to illustrate your idea.

    Xavier, you seemed to think the film was mediocre since you gave it three out of five stars. You said the you found the plot confusing.. Can you say more about that? Did you consider including a film clip of the part you found most confusing?

    I also enjoyed the way you appeared on screen. You were very respectful of each other's ideas and opinions, even though you disagreed. I especially loved each of your facial expressions when the other was speaking. It added a nonverbal comment and was entertaining for the viewer. One suggestion...I have found when my fifth grade students record, background noise can sometimes make it difficult to hear your great ideas. Have you considered finding a quieter place to record?

    All in all, well done! I'll be looking for more of your film reviews.

    ReplyDelete

Make sure your comment includes accountable talk sentence starters! Your comment will be sent to Mr. Freelon to be approved.

Keep up the talk!